International measurement thought leaders met in Barcelona in 2010 and 2015 to discuss a baseline for quantitative and qualitative measurement. Below are the 7 principles:
1. Goal setting and measurement are fundamental to communication and public relations.
2. Measuring communication outcomes is recommended versus only measuring outputs.
3. The effect on organizational performance can and should be measured where possible
4. Measurement and evaluation require both qualitative and quantitative methods
5. AVEs are not the value of communication. (Advertising Value Equivalence)
6. Social media can and should be measured consistently with other media channels
7. Measurement and evaluation should be transparent, consistent and valid.
For additional information and context, please click the links below:
PR News: Barcelona Principles 2.0
Comparing Barcelona Principles 1.0 and 2.0
Barcelona Principles 2.0